Monday, January 05, 2015

Pattern Review: Simplicity 1876

Helllloooooo, 2015! Boy, am I glad to see you! 2014 was one of the most eventful years I've had in a while, and I'm kinda glad to see the end of it. There were some amazing things that happened - we went to Europe, and I started a new job at Woolarium, which I LOVE - but my father-in-law became quite ill, there were job upheavals for my husband, and I've had a few rather unpleasant medical issues which have been ongoing for some time but really decided to bite towards at the end of the year. 10 years down the track from Tyger's birth, and I'm still dealing with medical issues from the complications. Gah! No fun, I tells ya, no fun at all! No wonder I totally lost my sewing mojo, eh?


But here we are, in a fresh new year, and things are looking much rosier. I'm feeling in a much better place to meet challenges head on, and have even got a few sewing projects finished. I KNOW! Hold the presses, folks - Jorth has actually finished a sewing project. Woo hoo!


This little baby is Simplicity 1876, made up in a gorgeous fresh cotton print that I knew had to be mine as soon as I clapped eyes on it. The bodice is fully lined and interfaced, and was meant to have boning as well, but I felt that the interfaced layer would provided enough support. And besides, I like to breathe. So like the sewing rebel that I am, I left it out.


I also decided to make the halter straps into shoulder straps, as I really dislike the feeling of something being tied around my neck. I'll leave the weight-bearing yoke feelings to the oxen in ye olde fields, and go with shoulder security instead. Thankfully the halter strap was plenty long enough to accommodate this whim of mine, so no alterations were required.


The dress itself was pretty easy to sew. The only tricky part was sewing the interfacing layer to the bodice without catching the gap left to thread the halter through. There may have been some unpicking before I scored, but triumphant I did emerge, and it all sits quite nicely.


So there it is. With an invisible hand-sewn hem, to boot! I think it's a winner.  Judge for yourselves - and happiest of new years to you all!


Halter #1


Halter #2


Halter #3


Project Details
Pattern: Simplicity 1876, view A
Fabric: 1.9m cotton fabric from GJ's Discount Fabrics
Notions: 35cm invisible zipper, interfacing

PS: Big thanks to Tyger for the pics!

14 comments:

  1. Yay to a better year for you. As usual your dress looks great. I admire the patience required for the bodice; think that would scare me :-) cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:31 pm

    beautiful!! wish you a much healthier year!it sucks to still supper from childbirth complications ten years later :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. The print of the fabric definitely suits that dress - it looks splendid!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great dress, and awesome photos too! I must teach my kids how to hold a camera (or phone) steady enough to take an in focus photo. Good luck to me, I often get my husband to take photos, and they're often blurry too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's beautiful Leisl, as are you wearing it! Best wishes for a happy, healthy and safe 2015. I'm sorry you had a tough year and hope this one brings you all happiness :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, this dress is a true stunner. I love the halter-to-shoulder-straps modification: it must be so much more comfortable. The fit is spot on. I'm kinda jealous... :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here is to an amazing 2015 for you and yours! What a gorgeous frock to start 2015 with! I much prefer it with shoulder straps rather than halter- none deserves their neck meat being skooshed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks gorgeous! Might see you at the Woolarium, I've a gift voucher and am VERY much looking forward to spending it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a stunner! Yes, 2014 seemed to be a topsy-turvy year for a lot of us, here's wishing your 2015 is super special. xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous dress, beautiful fabric, talk about a great start to the new year! x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, you really know how to sew for yourself, you look stunning.
    Best wishes for the new year. I hope you feel as good as you look and you know that Galumph has us in his corner!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My God it's stunning; you're stunning! Here's to an ever brighter new year for you and your family. You are one of the good ones and totally deserve it. Can't wait to see you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Perfect dress for summer fun. Love the starburst print.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment! Make my day!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.