Thursday, June 27, 2013

Miette cardigan knit-a-long

RowanRed


I know what you are all thinking. Namely: what the heck is Jorth doing with more red yarn? And such big bouncy balls of the stuff, eh? Surely she doesn't - couldn't - possibly need any more yarn in that stash of hers?

Well, until recently my thoughts were running along the same lines. Especially since I'm having a wee bit of trouble closing the wardrobe door where my yarn is stashed in amongst a jumble of evening dresses, pannier bags and toy stuffing. But then I saw this pattern, and the rest, as they say in the movies, is history:

Miette

There is no WAY I am not making myself this beautiful, beautiful garment. It's the Miette cardigan by Andi Satterlund, and when I showed it to Nic we both started squealing like over-excited little girls. Before you knew it half the studio was crowded around our computer monitors, oohing and ahhing over the knitterly goodness. That was when I, super genius that I am (bwah ha!) hit upon the idea of having a Miette cardigan knit-a-long.

I know - I'm awesomely clever, ja? And the cherry on the cake is that we'll also be running a class over at Handmaker's Factory, to show any new knitters the skills they need to make their very own.

Because, truly, I would hate for anybody to miss out on having their very own Miette just because nobody had every shown them what ssk or ptbl was. That would be a gross crime against knitters. I will not perpetuate these crimes! There must be Miettes for one and all - or at the very least, those prepared to wield their own circular needles.

Oooh, this is going to be such fun! If you want to join in the KAL, then leave a comment at the bottom of this post on Handmaker's Factory, telling us that you too will be joining in the fun, and providing us with your blog address. The KAL will finish at the stroke of midnight on the 31st of August - this gives us just over 2 months to make up our Miettes. It's made up in a worsted weight yarn, so it should be a fairly quick knit to put together. And if you get stuck, I'll be more than happy to answer questions about it. Leave any questions either here, on the Handmaker's Factory Miette KAL post or contact me on email (jorth AT bigpond DOT net DOT au).

Once your Miette is done, post it up on your blog and let us know it's finished, either via email or by leaving a comment on the Miette post. And the pop it up on the Handmaker's Factory Project page. We'll then make up a gallery of finished Miettes, and then sit back and congratulate ourselves on being such brilliant knitters.

What are you waiting for? Dash over to Ravelry and get your free copy of the Miette pattern and start knitting! Can't wait to see what you all make!




8 comments:

  1. You know what? I'm desperate to say yep!! Count me in!!! But I'm seriously short on time at the moment. So... could I cheat, and knit a Miette inspired scarf? I'd love to try my hand at that gorgeous repeat up the front. I need your permission, Ms Jorth! :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. What happens if you don't have a blog??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poppykettle, go for it! We'll sort out your pattern repeat in the class :)

    Ronniie - that's fine if you don't have a blog... you can knit-a-long regardless, and ask questions if you need be. We would love to see a pic of the finished Miette, though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm in! I just need to make sure I finish before I go overseas on the 23rd of August! I definitely need the class as I need help. I'm afraid I need more help than the class can provide, but I'll give it a go. Hooray!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never, ever knitted anything (although I'm a boss with a crochet needle) but I desperately want to try this. I sense disappointment in my future, but I'm a sucker for a challenge!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i think you have twisted my arm!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous1:27 pm

    I've never done top down knitting ... is it easy?
    I learnt knitting the old school way with seaming ... and everyone keeps telling me knitting in the round top down easier ... is it? Is it easy to learn if you're a leftie? Anne

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh gorgeous. Can't wait to see all the prettiness knitted up.
    I've been knitting up my own Miette creation in totally inappropriate yarn but it's come along nicely and should be fun to wear.
    Enjoy yours.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment! Make my day!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.